Mummy


Mummy*

  

Mummy was the pivot of my life when I was young. As I grew, she got relegated to periphery. I do not know how or when this process set in. I woke up to it only when her failing health forced me to pay her more attention.

 

But now I often wonder about it.

 

I 


Mummy cooked the best food in the world. This was as obvious as the fact that day followed the night. Mummy was beautiful. My idea of beauty grew from her. That she was short and fat did not matter. This was how beautiful women were supposed to be. Mummy was intelligent. She could teach me all the subjects. Well, almost all. Mothers were not supposed to know maths. This was domain of fathers. She stitched trendy clothes. I flaunted these on every occasion. Mummy had read the best books. I listened entranced when she talked about Hindi poetry: Maithili Sharan Gupt’s Yashoda, Subhadra Kumari Chauhan’s Yeh Kadam Ka Ped, Ramdhari Singh Dinkar’s Himalay, Tulsi and Meera’s verses. She introduced me to writers like Munshi Premchand, Sharatchandra Chattopadhyay, and Tagore. I read their books with wonder and relish.

 

Mummy could conjure solutions to seemingly insurmountable problems. The night before the civics exam in my sixth grade is one of the most dreadful memory of my school years. I realised on the evening before the exam that I hadn’t read about half the book even once. Ensuing fear made my blood run cold. Mummy sat with me the whole night and explained all the chapters. She remained calm and patient throughout the ordeal. I did well in the paper.

 

Mummy, soon after her marriage (Sketched from a photograph)

Best of all, mummy loved me like no one else. Hers was the only unconditional love I came across in all my life. I knew she was there for me always. There were times, though exceedingly rare, when daddy hit me hard in anger. Mummy would press my head tightly against her bosom, all the while wiping my tears and trying to soften the cries lest they anger daddy more. I was just so slightly aware that she was trying hard to control her sobs and biting her lips. This made me forget the pain and the indignation. But she could confront even an infuriated daddy, at the cost of being rebuked by him, when she felt that he had been unfairly severe in a paltry matter.

 

Mummy thought I was the most brilliant child in the world. She believed I could never do any wrong. This spurred me to put in a little more effort in the task at hand.

 

Mummy never gave me any reason to pine for more as far as expectation from a mother was concerned.

 

 

Then I grew up.

 

Mummy could still explain the poetry of Tulsidas but the social sciences in English were beyond her. Movies that mummy appreciated were good but this was the era of new-wave cinema of Shyam Benegal and Govind Nihalani. I noticed that she became silent when I talked about these. She was overwhelmed with joy when results of entrance exams for professional courses, I had taken, started pouring in. She had never had occasion to think about the merits and demerits of different branches of engineering or the edge of a particular college of medicine and the drawback of the other. She did not interfere in my choice and only urged me not to worry about the expenses involved.

 

College life exposed me to wider ideas and things. I ate out frequently and gradually I stopped associating the idea of good food with mummy. I forgot too, feel of the clothes that had been stitched on her old Usha sewing machine. I discovered the delicate elegance of Urdu shayari and depths of spirituality in Mahadevi Verma’s poetry. I read more prose in English. Poets and novelists mummy had brought in my life shrunk to a distant childhood memory. When home on vacations, I found fewer topics to converse with her. She fussed over me indulgently and I flinched at the touch of her demonstrative affection. A world different from Mummy’s, now informed my perception of beauty. She started showing early symptoms of osteoarthritis and hypertension, likely effects of her round figure. I began to remind her, mildly and evasively, of her obesity. Fat was after all not so beautiful.

 

 

I graduated and was commissioned in Air Force. Soon I married and my immediate family grew. I found more people on whom to shower affection. Contact with mummy was now limited to cursory telephonic conversations on couple of occasions every month. And all the while age was running her down. Every time I met her, after a gap of many months, I noticed how her limp had aggravated, her jowl hung more loose, grey in her hair had increased, her plait had grown thinner, her hearing had deteriorated further and her movements around the house were slower and more deliberate. She talked more about her health. I exhorted her, rather strongly, to take more interest in books, in the world out there, and other such matters of mind. She bore my admonitions in silence, seldom protesting meekly.  It didn’t dawn on me that while my world had grown, hers had shrunk.

 

Advancing osteoarthritis of both knees– even after knee-replacement– drastically reduced mummy’s mobility. She rarely left the house now. Daddy suffered a debilitating fracture of hip bone and was now confined indoors. This broke mummy’s last contact with the world beyond her immediate home. They came to live with me.

 

With difficulty mummy waddled from one room to the other. Her eyesight was failing but she spent most of her time reading religious books, the book in her hands almost touching her nose. She became more dependent on daddy, who was himself severely handicapped by the complications of hip surgery. I saw that she felt miserably lonesome, but I was too engrossed with life to think of ways to alleviate this. Occasionally she would linger a wee bit longer, as she walked across the door of the room, where I read a book.

‘What are you reading, Rajiv?’

‘Oh! This wouldn’t interest you mummy.’

She would hesitate a little, but then proceed to her room.

 

Mummy gradually withdrew in a shell. Rarely a thing about her– the faint fragrance of the talc she always used, emanating from her clothes; the way she wound shed hair around her finger while combing, before discarding them; her handkerchief tucked in the saree at her waist– reminded me of the mummy of my childhood, but only for the briefest of moments.

 

Within a month, she slid behind an impenetrable wall. Physicians said, this was dementia and gradually she may lose all her memory. Now I could not reach her, however hard I tried. I wanted to get back to my mummy. After decades, I hugged her unabashedly. She started crying. Was this in acknowledgment of my affection or a random response of a muddled mind that now inhabited the body where once my mummy lived? In vain I looked for the grand cook, the wise woman, and the loving mother who was my mummy once.

 

 

II

 

Mummy recovered from the delirium but became increasingly morose over next six months. She did not utter a word for days. Then one day she refused to eat altogether. A new psychiatrist diagnosed her condition as severe depression. He said she suffered from Anhedonia. Dictionary defines this as ‘A psychological condition characterised by inability to experience pleasure in normally pleasurable acts.’ I heard this word for the first time. She improved with new medicines, but her mood did not recover completely.

 

She aged rapidly now. She would get up from the bed with extreme difficulty. Daddy’s mind was failing faster than hers. Presently, he could not engage in any conversation. Mummy’s only source of companionship was receding from her life. She would stubbornly prod daddy to talk to her. He had of late become irritable and would often snub her. Daddy took to bed in his last days. He was then served food in the bed. Mummy would limp to the dining table alone. She would eat food clumsily, disinterestedly and soon return to her bed. She stopped coaxing daddy for conversation. She deteriorated alarmingly till she was unable to get up from the bed. Both, mummy and daddy, were now bed-ridden. Daddy expired in a few weeks.

 

Mummy had now stopped talking on her own. She did not demand anything. She ate when given food, drank when offered a glass of water, sat up in the bed when propped up and lay shivering if the air conditioner in her room was inadvertently set at a low temperature. She answered in monosyllables when spoken to. Occasionally she would point to her shoulders or knees if I enquired after pain. She could recognise few of us whom she saw daily.

 

Soon she stopped eating solids. And in a couple of weeks she wouldn’t touch even semi-solids. We fed her a cup or two of milk and some sweet yoghurt, but with exceeding difficulty. For a week she subsisted on a little more than water. She did not respond to me now. She would barely open her eyes when I called her repeatedly. She lay in the bed without moving.

 

I had decided some time back that I will not admit her in a hospital for terminal care. I wanted to provide her the security of a home and the assurance of my company till her last moment. I did not want her to spend her last days in company of strangers, with multiple tubes inserted in her body, needles being stuck incessantly, while the critical care physicians treated the laboratory reports and mummy lay lost in this intimidating atmosphere. I felt this would only prolong her agony. It was a tough decision to withhold life support from her.

 

I do not know, if in the end, mummy had any perception of home or us. Her gradual decline to oblivion was heart-wrenching. It was my private grief: unbearable yet incommunicable. I often sat with her in the deep night when others in the house slept. I caressed her forehead gently. I do not remember patting her thus, ever in my life. She would open her eyes but I did not see any light of recognition in them now. I wanted to ask her if she agreed with my decision to let her breath her last in her own bed. But she was not around to ease my dilemma. All my life I had witnessed her blind love for me. Till a few weeks back, even in this advanced stage of mental and physical debility, a faint shadow of contentment would spread on her withered face, when I sat with her, holding her hand. I wondered, could the solace of my company give her the strength to withstand the profound agony she might be suffering now? A deep pang of longing for mummy pierced my heart. I put my face next to hers and muffled the sobs rising from within. A medley of images flit across my mind, mainly of my childhood. I hugged her. She kept breathing heavily.

 

Mummy died slowly in front of my eyes. All her life mummy had been a god-fearing, kind soul. She never hurt a person knowingly. She believed in an infinitely compassionate, ever-loving God. I witnessed the working of her unsurpassably benevolent, just, and omnipotent God, as her body and mind wasted slowly. I wished her a speedy death that would not come.

 

On 8th August 2018, mummy breathed her last as I sat by her side, a few weeks short of her seventy ninth birthday. I knew it was the end. She had been breathing irregularly and with extreme effort for hours. I held her thin hands in mine. Gently, I stroked the dry skin over her sunken cheeks and forehead. She lay flaccid, like a hurt animal. She gasped, ever so lightly, and then she was no more.

 

Mummy had always acquiesced in all my decisions willingly. She was witness to my change of belief – i.e., abandoning of faith – and never seemed perturbed by it. I felt, like everything else about me, she had accepted this too, unquestioningly. I could never be wrong. A few close relatives gathered for the last rites. I kept the ceremony bare. Early next morning, I went to the cremation ground, on the banks of Hindan river, to gather her ashes. Pyre was warm even after fifteen hours. I immersed the ashes midstream, in a swift flowing Ganga at Garh Mukteshwar.

 

Mummy lingered in her room for a while. Every time I passed by her door, I reflexively looked at her bed, half expecting to see her sprawled there.

 

Mummy will be in my thoughts for long, popping up in situations that were associated with her when she was alive. She would live in my memory till I die. She would reappear in her descendants, piecemeal, through her genes, as long as her lineage continues.

 

 

* I wrote this in two instalments. First, when mummy suffered delirium and then soon after her death.

Comments

  1. Sir this article touched my heart in many ways, I can completely relate to it as I have seen them and have witnessed their ageing process to some extent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. These are universal experiences. Our memories will fail too, so will our bodies. Our kids will then wonder where have the captious, pernickety, book-fiend parents gone?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Gham-e-Rozgar - Tyranny of Livelihood

A Thousand Desires - Glimpse of the Margazhi-Kutcheri Season

Parents or Parenting: What Makes Us Who We Are?